Monday, December 17, 2018

A NEW REPURPOSED PROJECT


A couple of years ago I found this huge vintage dress (too bad I didn't take a before photo!) and I really liked the simple black and gray stripe print. I bought it with plans to turn it into a simple little dress, and this is how it turned out. By the way, how cute is my little side kick (Sophie). She was about 4 here. 


It was fun and I loved the deep pockets as well.


Fast forward a few years later. We traveled a bit and had stuff in storage but this was a piece that I wanted to keep (call it sentimental, or also just because I really liked it so much) so I never got rid of it during our different seasons of purging stuff. But after settling into a home of our own again I was pregnant with Royal and it didn't work for long as maternity. Over the past year as I have been breastfeeding it really hasn't been practical either, and I really wanted to wear it. 

After thinking it over I decided on a way to make it functional for this season now and I'm happy with how it turned out.


I just cut it down the middle and made it into a light weight jacket. This was super easy and now I get to wear it again!


 Now, these photos were taken about a month ago and it doesn't really get too cold here. But the temperatures have dropped and now I like to wear it with a black long sleeve or turtleneck as well. It's functional for warm temperatures or cooler ones which I really like.

I don't always make our clothes or buy second hand (there are times when we buy brand new, it's just not super often). However, I'm a big fan of reusing what we have or even reusing/recycling second hand clothes. I feel like it can be overwhelming sometimes to think about how much stuff is being made and sold everyday, when (if you are anything like us) we have plenty and don't really need more. But I also know it can be fun to have something new and enjoy it. So, many times this is a creative way for me to make something new and have a little fun. Because moms need a little fun too!


I hope this little DIY experiment inspires you to be creative the next time you want a little something new for yourself. And who knows, you may just find that little something in your closet that just needs a bit of tweaking to make it something special!


Stephanie xoxo




No comments: