Saturday, December 1, 2018

CRAFTING WITH KIDS


Throughout each week we usually allow time to make something. It's something that I enjoyed as a child and still do. Creating with my hands has always been therapeutic, and it's a confidence booster with my kids when they can see how they can do things as well and be proud of it. 

So, this has become something that is very normal in our home, whether it's learning to sew, weave, draw, paint, etc....really anything creative. 

I do have to say that when I am teaching them something new, or if we want to make something that they will want to keep for a while and it will last, I am involved in the process. I would never just give them instructions and let them go at it. 




Like this hand stitching project for instance. I was there with them to help thread the needle if they needed it, and I assisted if they got knots or kinks in the thread. This particular project was done in different sessions. So, we would do about 30 minutes at a time on a particular day to work on it. Much longer and they would either become frustrated or tired. So there is patience involved and it's something that is not finished in a day, but something to work on and come back to later to finish.


This hand stitching was pretty easy. Here's what we used to make them:

-muslin fabric
-embroidery floss
-wooden sewing hoops
-needle (we used the thicker ones because they are not as pointy as the little ones)
-scissors
-pencil

I used muslin fabric that you can find pretty inexpensive at a local craft store. You could also just use something you have on hand at home (an old sheet or pillow case.....this also looks really cute on a color or printed floral fabric, especially if you are stitching words). The embroidery floss is at most crafts stores as well. I chose pastels and neutrals because I knew that would make it easy for them to choose from. I let them choose 4 to 5 colors each (and it's okay to guide them if they need help). Many times I will show them an example on the internet (Pinterest) to give them an idea of what we are trying to make. 
We snapped the fabric into place on the sewing hoops, and then I took a pencil and lightly drew 4 to 5 lines for their rainbow. This helped them stay on the right line for each color.




As I said, these are a work in progress and I haven't taken photos of the finished product, but I will likely share them later on when they are finished.

This is a fun little project for grownups and kids alike. A pretty inexpensive craft to make, and it's great for little hands to practice!

Happy Sewing!

Stephanie xoxo

No comments: